Grammar Bowl Competition Format
The 2016 War of the Roses EGUMPP Grammar Bowl consists of three stages of competition: Preliminaries, Semifinals, and Finals.
Stage 1: Preliminaries
The first stage of competition for the 2016 War of the Roses EGUMPP Grammar Bowl is the Preliminaries. To participate in the Preliminaries,
an individual must register between February 3, 2016, and
March 14, 2016
March 31, 2016. During the Preliminaries, participants attempt to
complete the EGUMPP Grammar Module.*
To qualify for the Semifinals, the second stage of competition, participants must:
- Complete the EGUMPP Grammar Module* between February 3, 2016, and
April 9, 2016 April 23, 2016.
- Score a minimum final grade of 91% on the EGUMPP Grammar Module.
Participants who qualify for the Semifinals will be notified by email. There is no limit to the number of participants who can qualify
for the Semifinals.
* Grammar Bowl participants will recieve a FREE EGUMPP Grammar Module license key.
Stage 2: Semifinals
The second stage of competition for the 2016 War of the Roses EGUMPP Grammar Bowl is the Semifinals. Semifinalists will complete a multiple-choice test and a
writing test to determine who advances to the Finals. The test will be administered at the Lancaster Campus and the York Campus
of Consolidated School of Business (CSB).
Participants who qualify for the Semifinals will be notified to report to an assigned testing site to complete the Semifinal test on
April 16, 2016
April 30, 2016, at a
specific time. Lancaster County participants will take the test at the Lancaster Campus of CSB,
and York County participants will take the test at the York Campus of CSB. The 32 highest scoring participants from Lancaster
county and the 32 highest scoring participants from York County will advance to the Finals.
Date of Semifinals
April 16, 2016 April 30, 2016
- Qualified semifinalists will be notified of their test time no later than April 25, 2016 (we will begin contacting those qualifiers on April 16, 2016)
Lancaster County residents:
Lancaster Campus of Consolidated School of Business
2124 Ambassador Circle
Lancaster, PA 17603
- York County residents:
York Campus of Consolidated School of Business
1605 Clugston Road
York, PA 17404
The Semifinal test will be segmented into two parts:
Part A - Multiple Choice Test
- Timed test
- Multiple choice questions pertaining to the concepts and terms presented in the EGUMPP Grammar Module
- 1 point awarded for each correct answer
- 1/4 point deducted for each incorrect response
Part B - Writing Test
- Timed test
- Writing tasks pertaining to the concepts and terms presented in the EGUMPP Grammar Module
- Participants write sentences according to a prescribed structure
- Sentences will be graded by impartial readers
- Points will be awarded only for responses that are completely correct
Semifinalists will be able to download a practice test after March 5, 2016.
Advancement to the Finals
A total of 64 semifinalists will advance to the Finals.
- The 32 highest scoring participants from Lancaster County
- The 32 highest scoring participants from York County
Semifinalists who qualify for the Finals will be notified by email and with a phone call no later than Friday, May 6, 2016.
Stage 3: Finals
The third stage of competition for the 2016 War of the Roses EGUMPP Grammar Bowl is the Finals. The Finals is a live event and will take
place on Saturday,
April 30, 2016
May 14, 2016.
Date of Finals
April 30, 2016 May 14, 2016
- The schedule of events will be announced in April 2016.
- To be announced (location will be in Lancaster or York)
Types of Questions
Head-to-Head Competition Rounds
The Head-to-Head Competition Rounds consist of five rounds where each
participant competes against another participant live on-stage
using handheld buzzers and a timer system.
The competition will begin with one of the 32 Lancaster County participants
competiting against one of the 32 York County participants. This format will continue until
32 matches have been completed.
The first contestant in each of the matches t correctly answer a pre-determined number of questions moves to the second round – Terrific 32.
These head-to-head matches continue in the third round – Super 16, the fourth round – the Magnificent 8, and the fifth round – Fabulous 4.
In the Championship Round, the final two contestants compete head-to-head to determine who will become the 2016 War of the Roses EGUMPP Grammar Bowl Champion.
- Identifying the specific function of a word in a sentence
- Identifying the specific function of a phrase in a sentence
- Identifying the specific function of a clause in a sentence
- Identifying the four types of sentences